Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: expect-20021218-1, gdb-20021218-1, tcltk-20021218-1
From: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 18:33:18 -0500

On 09 May 2002, in a message titled "Python and PIL and rebase, oh my!", 
I said:

> #2) ------------------------------
> Given that, I have a 3 requests for the tcl/tk maintainer:
>    1) for the next release, can we have the header files (other than 
> just tk.h) installed as well?  (Where?  I dunno... /usr/include/tk/ & 
> /tcl/?)
>    2) can we have a postinstall script that links
>    /usr/lib/libtclX.Y.a ---> libtclXY.a
>    /usr/lib/libtkX.Y.a  ---> libtkXY.a
>    3) please make sure the tkConfig.sh and tclConfig.sh files are 
> correct.  The current versions include lots of references to 
> /cygnus/netrel/src/gdb-20001125-1/  etc.  That's bad...

All of these issues still exist (but now that tcltk is its own package, 
they are fixable -- when it was all mingled together with gdb it was 
totally unfixable).

Anyway, it'd be nice(tm) if the tcltk binary package included the tk 
header files under /usr/include/tk/ and /usr/include/tk/X11/.  See
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/testing/tk-includes-8.3.tar.bz2
where the contents were taken from the tcltk -src archive.

/usr/lib/tclConfig.sh and /usr/lib/tkConfig.sh need to be "munged" 
before inclusion in the distro tarball, but they DO need to be present 
in the distro (no fair simply removing them <g>)

If 8.3 is anything like 8.0, we need these symlinks in /usr/lib:

libtcl8.3.a -> libcygtcl83.a
libtk8.3.a -> libcygtk83.a

although the (new?) files
   /usr/lib/itcl3.2/pkgIndex.tcl
   /usr/lib/itk3.2/pkgIndex.tcl
might actually fix that problem; I'm not sure.

--Chuck

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/