Subject: Posix subsytsem
From: Robert White <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:19:16 +0000

Hi

I can think of a couple of instances when I have seen this message.

Pavel is correct services for Unix make use of the Posix subsystem in
NT, and
this can be disabled in the registry.

I think this is in the localmachine->system->currentcontrolset->control
and
search for posix.

The optional key should be 4f 73 32 00 50 6f 73 69 78 00 00 on NT 4.
Note
this should be operational by default. As always usual caveats about
editing
registry.

My recollection is that cygwin does not rely on this subsystem however,
so
the other time I have seen this message is when the command for instance
ls
is not in the path. For instance opening a command prompt and typing ls
will
give this result.

Are you sure you are opening cygwin with the cygwin.bat file, and that
the
mounts and other wise are correct. From what you say it appears that it
is
fine on subsequent invocations.

There is no network dependency here, that is being "woken up" by the
first
call is there? Additionally have you got some profile commands that set
the
path and mounts on first invocation?

Sorry I can't be more precise.

Regds

Rob

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/