Subject: RE: cygwin License related Query....
From: "partha dhar" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Dakshinamoorthy Venkataraman" <[email-masked]>, "Sajad Bashir Qadri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:52:14 +0530

Hi,

I'm Partha, managing the project that Sajad is involved in. Let me try
to give you a clear picture of what we are doing. We have an application
which we were planning to bundle along with cygwin and distribute to the
client. We however do not modify any of the cygwin files or DLLs. Please
let me know if we need to purchase any license for the same or this can
be done at free of cost.

Best regards,
Partha

P.S: We do use third party software with BSD license( PostgreSQL ) which
are compiled under cygwin environment. Please note that our application
does not use cygwin environment or the utilities. But the application
uses the PostgreSQL database which is compiled and executed under cygwin
environment. Hence our application, cygwin and PostgreSQL need to be
bundled together.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Faylor [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 3:26 AM
To: Sajad Bashir Qadri
Cc: [email-masked]; partha dhar; Dakshinamoorthy Venkataraman
Subject: Re: cygwin License related Query....

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 03:41:00PM +0530, Sajad Bashir Qadri wrote:
>We have a software that runs on Windows platform .The software is a
>commercial one.  And at its backend we want to use PostgreSQL.  Since
>the application will be running on windows platform we need to bundle
>cygwin with it , to use postgreSQL.  The software will not be running
>on cygwin shell and will not even use any of the standard cygwin tools
>like - gcc, gas,ld.

If you are going to be providing the cygwin DLL or any of its utilities,
you either need to release the sources for the DLL or you need to
purchase a buyout license.

cgf

>    Do we need a commercial cygwin license or 'proprietary-use license'
>for such a use of cygwin? If yes pls send me the terms for this
license.
>    I will be very thankful to u,if u can reply this soon.
> 
>thanks 
>sajad
--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/