Subject: Re: Individual vs. list-only replies (Was Re: Force bash to start as administrator)
From: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:50:13 -0800

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> I would like to point out that most people on this list are busy people,

As am I.

> and that the most convenient way to reply is the one that takes the 
> least effort on their part.

In my software I simply hit reply instead of reply all. Either button is 
as easy.

> The message that started this discussion used the default behavior of 
> pine (reply to author, cc to list - I hit reply, write the message, 
> and press send), whereas for this message I actually had to explicitly 
> remove your name from the To: line and move the cygwin list from Cc: 
> to To:. I'm only doing this to prove the point now, and will most 
> probably not do so in the future.

Yes and in my software the default way is to either hit the reply button 
or type Control-R. In order to reply all you need to hit that button or 
Control-Shift-R (i.e. a little more difficult).

But the issue is not only are people who reply busy but so are the 
readers. With your software's defaults I get a message in my email AND 
see it and have to skip it later when I read the list. Thus it is more 
work for me, hence the request not to do this.

As for the path of least inconvenience, if your method was the most 
popular then I would be receiving email whenever somebody response to 
one of my posts but I don't. Therefore it sounds to me like this is a 
pine'ism.

>> Otherwise I will simply set up a filter to ignore all email from you 
>> :-) !
>
>
> This is certainly your choice.

Ploink!

>> Again, I don't appreciate getting email that's a copy of what I'll be 
>> reading on the list shortly anyway.
>
> As I mentioned before, the standard way to deal with this (on any 
> mailing list) is to use a Reply-To header. Since your method for 
> reading and posting to this list is non-standard (namely, the gmane 
> newsgroup) and incompatible with Reply-To, 

It didn't used to be incompatible however the gname maintainer changed 
that behavior.

> you would need to seek alternate solutions.

Yeah, ploink I guess... :-)

> P.S. Also note that, even with your current setup, you can get a 
> double copy only if someone replies to a message that you posted.

Again, when others respond I do not get an additional email copy of it. 
Just with some people. Apparently people who use pine and perhaps some 
other mailers.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/