Subject: Re: /tmp
From: Shankar Unni <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:30:01 -0800

Vince Hoffman wrote:
> I'm intrigued, where would you have it point then ? c:\temp ? c:\tmp ? 

No, to <cygwin-install-dir>\tmp.  Ditto for /etc.

I had tried this same thing earlier: I was using a mount map where "/" 
was mounted on "c:/" (I have only one disk), and I had a c:/usr 
directory containing symlinks to c:/cygwin/usr/* or c:/cygwin/* as 
appropriate.

And I had /etc -> c:/cygwin/etc, but each time I ran setup, it would 
break this link and create an almost empty directory with just 
setup/last-cache and setup/last-mirror.  Anyway, I gave up the idea soon.

(The reason is because I use a *native* tcsh as my shell, which has some 
NT-specific extensions for filename completion (complete=igncase), 
titlebar setting, etc. But the filename completion is (naturally) 
unaware of cygwin mounts, so I was trying to get the setup to look as 
much like the native structure as possible, while allowing things like 
"man" to still find their files).

Anyway, I've given up that idea, and just deal with the mental bump when 
doing filename completion of something in the cygwin tree. The command 
line does one thing, and "ls" does another...
--
Shankar.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/