Subject: Re: stdint.h missing
From: egor duda <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] ((Neal D. Becker))
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:14:22 +0300

Hi!

Tuesday, 10 December, 2002 Neal D. Becker [email-masked] wrote:

NDB> It seems that /usr/include/stdint.h is missing.  I am using:

Welcome to the world of portable programming.

Single Unix Specification version 2 -- a standard cygwin is trying to
comply with -- doesn't include such file. Newer versions of standard
do include this file, but a lot of systems (a quick check reveals
FreeBSD 4.7, along with cygwin) doesn't provide this file yet.

So if you want to make your program portable across wide range of
platforms, you shouldn't rely on recent versions of standards because
it takes time for system implementors to catch up. Instead, you should
check in configure script if this file exists, and if not, provide
your own declaration for uint8_t, and other types and constants your
program needs.

Additionally, you may provide a patch to add this file to cygwin, and
if done properly, it will be gratefully accepted.

Egor.            mailto:[email-masked] ICQ 5165414 FidoNet 2:5020/496.19

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/