Subject: Re: [FAQ?] Re: [Mingw-users] Cygwin Full download in one big archive ?
From: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
To: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Dec 2002 10:42:02 +1100

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 10:30, Charles Wilson wrote:
>

> > Seems pretty clear to me, that for anyone on a slow link, or anyone
> > charged by volume, that the modular install is much more efficient.
> 
> Faulty analogy.  Most users would probably only download the monolithic 
> tarball once, for their initial installation.  Then use setup.exe and 
> update things in a modular fashion after that.

I'm not about to actively maintain two forms of setup that are so
different. And until someone offers to do that, I think it is a
reasonable assumption to make that the install form you start with you
continue with.
 
Also, I supported having a 'install-in-one-hit-everything' in setup
earlier in my email, where you did not quote.

Now, for grabbing everything at once, there are many ways:
wget ~= setup ~= winwget ~= ftp mget ~= tool foo
and they are *all* orthogonal to the monolithic download discussion.

I'm trying to highlight the weakness's with a monolithic download, not
the pros and cons of a full-install strategy.

Rob

-- 
---
GPG key available at: http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt.
---