Subject: RE: [Mingw-users] Cygwin Full download in one big archive ?
From: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
To: Richard Campbell <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Dec 2002 09:20:28 +1100

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 01:39, Richard Campbell wrote:
> >Impractical. As I said, almost 100% of people won't want 100% of packages.
> 
> It might be interesting to poll in some way, considering how often this 
> comes up.  I suspect more than "almost 0%" might want a 1-button, 
> overnight-style install.

I agree with you with regards to what folk may want. The modular install
is about choice and efficiency. There is *no* reason that a 1-button
overnight-style install cannot be achieved using setup.exe. Patches
accepted gratefully.

With regards to having a monolithic download however...

Some back-of-a-postcard sums:

monolithic install
577MB install.
1 update to a package a week,
1 new 577MB install file created each week.
longest period without updating - 2 months.

this would mean an average of ~280MB per month downloading updates.

modular install
577MB total download size
1 update to a package a week,
1 new modular install (avg ~5MB) created each week.
longest period without updated - 2 months.

this would mean an average of ~20MB per month downloading updates.

Seems pretty clear to me, that for anyone on a slow link, or anyone
charged by volume, that the modular install is much more efficient.

Rob

-- 
---
GPG key available at: http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt.
---