Subject: Re: sshd installation on NT 5.0
From: Marc Girod <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: 28 Nov 2002 17:40:26 +0200

>>>>> "CV" == Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]> writes:

CV> Things to check:

CV> - /usr/sbin/sshd.exe, /bin/cygwin1.dll, /bin/cygcrypto.dll, /bin/cygz.dll 
CV>   executable for everyone?

$ ls -l /usr/sbin/sshd.exe /bin/cygwin1.dll /bin/cygcrypto.dll /bin/cygz.dll
-rwxrwxrwx    1 Administ None       657920 Nov  9 11:58 /bin/cygcrypto.dll
-rwxrwxrwx    1 Administ None       940360 Nov 23 05:20 /bin/cygwin1.dll
-rwxrwxrwx    1 Administ None        50688 Mar 12  2002 /bin/cygz.dll
-rwxrwxrwx    1 Administ None       305664 Nov  9 11:20 /usr/sbin/sshd.exe

A bit liberal, maybe... Usually -r-xr-xr-x should be enough? (Also below)

CV> - /etc readable for everyone but only writable by the owner?

$ ls -ld /etc
drwxrwxrwx    6 Administ None         4096 Nov 28 14:11 /etc

CV> - /etc/passwd, /etc/group readable for everyone?

$ ls -l /etc/passwd /etc/group
-rwxrwxrwx    1 Administ None          468 Nov 26 17:12 /etc/group
-rwxrwxrwx    1 Administ None         2904 Nov 26 17:20 /etc/passwd

CV> - /etc/passwd and /etc/group contain uid/gid 18 entry for SYSTEM, both
CV>   with SID in either pw_gecos or gr_passwd field?

$ grep -E '\<18\>' /etc/passwd /etc/group
/etc/passwd:SYSTEM:*:18:544:,S-1-5-18::
/etc/group:SYSTEM:S-1-5-18:18:8:

Not sure about the positions...

CV> - /etc/passwd contains sshd entry?

$ grep -E '\<sshd\>' /etc/passwd
sshd:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:1021:513:sshd privsep,U-HEITSB03LAB\sshd,S-1-5-21-1935655697-1409082233-1801674531-1021:/var/empty:/bin/false

CV> - /etc/ssh* owned by SYSTEM?

$ ls -l /etc/ssh*
-rw-rw-rw-    1 NOSP_Adm None         1049 Nov 27 12:42 /etc/ssh_config
-rw-------    1 NOSP_Adm None          668 Nov 27 12:42 /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
-rw-r--r--    1 NOSP_Adm None          612 Nov 27 12:42 /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key.pub
-rw-------    1 NOSP_Adm None          537 Nov 27 12:42 /etc/ssh_host_key
-rw-r--r--    1 NOSP_Adm None          341 Nov 27 12:42 /etc/ssh_host_key.pub
-rw-------    1 NOSP_Adm None          887 Nov 27 12:42 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
-rw-r--r--    1 NOSP_Adm None          232 Nov 27 12:42 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub
-rw-rw-rw-    1 NOSP_Adm None         2142 Nov 27 12:42 /etc/sshd_config

Changed to SYSTEM:SYSTEM

CV> - /etc/ssh*key files only writable by owner SYSTEM?

$ ls -l /etc/ssh*key
-rw-------    1 SYSTEM   SYSTEM        668 Nov 27 12:42 /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
-rw-------    1 SYSTEM   SYSTEM        537 Nov 27 12:42 /etc/ssh_host_key
-rw-------    1 SYSTEM   SYSTEM        887 Nov 27 12:42 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key

CV> - /var/empty owned by SYSTEM?
CV> - /var/empty permissions only writable by owner SYSTEM?

$ ls -ld /var/empty
drwxr-xr-x    2 SYSTEM   SYSTEM          0 Nov 26 17:19 /var/empty

And yes, it started...
Thank You very much!

-- 
Marc Girod        P.O. Box 323        Voice:  +358-71 80 25581
Nokia NBI         00045 NOKIA Group   Mobile: +358-50 38 78415
Takomo 1 / 4c27   Finland             Fax:    +358-71 80 61604

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/