Subject: dll not found when "symlink" used?
From: Bob Tanner <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:24:58 -0600

Pretty new to cygwin, so I'm not 100% sure how these symlinks work. View the 
symlink under cygwin-bash, things look right, but when I look at the files 
under Windows Explorer, they are just .lnk file.

My question is, do cygwin binaries understand and respect these .lnk files?

I don't think they do.

I'm trying to run a binary that requires libqt-mt.dll, here is what bash shows 
me (formated to fix):

$ ls -l libqt-mt*
lrwxrwxrwx  116 Nov 26 13:18 libqt-mt.dll ->libqt-mt.dll.3.1.0*
lrwxrwxrwx  116 Nov 26 13:18 libqt-mt.dll.3 -> libqt-mt.dll.3.1.0*
lrwxrwxrwx  116 Nov 26 13:18 libqt-mt.dll.3.1 -> libqt-mt.dll.3.1.0*
-rwxr-xr-x    7786145 Nov 26 13:18 libqt-mt.dll.3.1.0*

You can see libqt-mt.dll is a symlink to libqt-mt.dll.3.1 and libqt-mt.dll.3.1 
is in my path.

$ which libqt-mt.dll       
/cygdrive/r/BUILD/qt-x11-free-3.1.0/lib/libqt-mt.dll

Running an application gives me 'The dynamic link library libqt-mt.dll could 
not be found in the specified path <list of directories>'.

If I rm libqt-mt.dll, and cp libqt-mt.dll.3.1.o to libqt-mt.dll things work. 

I guess I'm looking for conformation that cygwin binaries do not honor the 
symlinks.

Thanks.
-- 
Bob Tanner <[email-masked]>       | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org                 | Fax   : (952)943-8500
Key fingerprint = 02E0 2734 A1A1 DBA1 0E15  623D 0036 7327 93D9 7DA3

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/