Subject: Re: ls problem
From: Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:58:56 -0800

David,

The odd thing is that the delay occurred on a file (in a directory) that, 
according to Carlo, do not exist. Nor do they exist on my system even 
though I have all of the Cygwin packages installed (including XFree86/Cygwin).

Why would a simple attempt to access a non-existent file trigger a nearly 
two-second delay in an anti-virus subsystem?

Does Windows have some kind of "auto-mount" capability for accessing remote 
file systems? If it did and it were somehow triggered by the attempt to 
access that directory it could explain the delay?

Could there be a Windows mount (not a Cygwin mount) active for that 
directory that refers to a network drive letter with an invalid server 
association?  (Is that even possible?)

Carlo, you could try one of these commands:

         mountvol 'F:\cygwin\usr\local\etc' /l
         mountvol 'F:\cygwin\usr\local\etc\zoneinfo' /l
         mountvol 'F:\cygwin\usr\local\etc\zoneinfo\posixrules' /l

to see if Windows has a mountvol association with the directories involved 
in the problem.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 05:08 2002-11-22, David Starks-Browning wrote:
>Carlo,
>
>Do you have any anti-virus software running?  'ls -l' has to open each 
>file, and this typically triggers your AV software to scan it. Depending 
>on your AV product, and how you have configured it, this might explain 
>unusual delays.
>
>If you do have AV software running, try repeating the tests with it 
>disabled, and report back.
>
>Thanks,
>David

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/