Subject: Re: SPEWS blocked me
From: Wu Yongwei <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:30:25 +0800

OK, you might be right. Thanks that you at least provide a way to bypass
the foolish "anti-spam" mechanism.

The fact is that I hate the way SPEWS works. It thinks it is the crusade
and refuses to remove individual IPs. The following is what I got from
them:

--------------------
We are blocking 21vianet.com because they ignore spam complaints.
When the 21vianet spam stops, the blocks will come down. Not before.

If you have a problem, complain to 21vianet.
They are the source of your problem.

Cameron
--------------------

I don't think I can easily educate my ISP, nor can I switch my ISP
because of this. -- But I realize that I am not much better in that I
want to "cure" them instead of being "cured".... And this is going
off-topic.

I stop now.

Best regards,

Wu Yongwei

--- Original Message from Christopher Faylor ---

  > Is SPEWS necessary? I see that the whole DSL IP range of our
  > company's ISP is blocked. Terrible that each user needs to beg the
  > mercy of SPEWS or individually send request to register their e-mail
  > addresses safely to use in Cygwin.

Yeah.  It's really really terrible isn't it?  The horror of having to
take an extra five minutes to register yourself.  The mind numbing
searing pain is almost inconceivable.

  > No intention to insult. Just feel there may be alternate ways to do
  > that. Once our mail server is blocked by a open relay list, but it is
  > easier to remedy and I feel good that a security hole in our mail
  > server is eliminated.

Given that a marjority of the spam that makes it by all of the other
filters is blocked by OsiruSoft, I don't think I'm going to be
eliminating it anytime soon, especially when you can trivially bypass
the block.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/