Subject: Re: No subjects are nice
From: Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "Jake D. Stern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:18:04 -0800

Jake,

[ In case you've unsubscribed, Jake, I'm sending you a copy directly. ]

I don't think you should just go away. It is most certainly _not_ the case 
that you aren't welcome here. Over a few years of history on this list, I 
can only think of one person who was truly unwelcome (and was banned). For 
what it's worth, Chris Faylor is quite lenient about who and what gets on 
the list, even when he points out the inappropriate. It's also the case 
that the spam filtering on this list is quite effective since we see very 
little of it here.

However, every group (or "community," if you consider a technical mailing 
list a community) has to communicate and enforce its standards and 
conventions to and upon its members. As usual, once a person is familiar 
with those conventions and standards, they're not a problem. Often, as 
we've seen here, there's friction when the newcomer violates them and is 
then publicly chastised. This is not a personal judgement or condemnation, 
just an attempt to maintain our own standards.

Please don't feel unwelcome here. Cygwin is fabulous and it's quite likely 
that if you participate you'll learn more and others will learn more (from 
you or your questions) than if you just go away.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 00:27 2002-11-14, Jake D. Stern wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 06:35:49PM -0500, CBFalconer wrote:
>[..snip..]
>
>Apparently, you missed my thanks, apology and explanation.
>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-11/msg00685.html
>
>Automated responses that indicate a problem with "something in the subject
>line" are not crystal clear.  My impression was that the filter was blocking
>on the % symbol, because I know spammers use symbols.  Anyone who has ever
>had to deal with automated responses knows they can be ambiguous.
>
>For obvious reasons, I will not be posting again at cygwin.
>
>Thanks again to those of you who were helpful,
>
>Jake

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/