Subject: ld crash
From: "Braden McDaniel" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:59:07 -0500

Since upgrading to gcc 3.2 (currently 3.2-2 with binutils 20021107-2), ld
crashes when I try to build OpenVRML:

---
/bin/bash ../../../libtool --mode=link g++   -g -O0   -o
libopenvrml.la -rpath /
usr/local/lib -version-info 2:2:0       MathUtils.lo Doc.lo doc2.lo
dummysound.lo Image.lo Audio.lo System.lo field.lo fieldvalueptr.lo
VrmlMatrix.lo scope.lo scopeptr.lo node.lo nodeptr.lo nodetypeptr.lo
nodeclassptr.lo bvolume.lo script.lo ScriptJDK.lo browser.lo Viewer.lo
font.lo VrmlRenderContext.lo VrmlFrustum.lo
vrml97node.lo ../../../lib/antlr/libantlr.la

*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/../../../libstdc++.la.
*** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/../../../libstdc++.la.
*** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
g++ -shared -nostdlib /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/crtbegin.o
.libs/MathUtils.o .libs/Doc.o .libs/doc2.o .libs/dummysound.o .libs/Image.o
.libs/Audio.o .libs/System.o .libs/field.o .libs/fieldvalueptr.o
.libs/VrmlMatrix.o .libs/scope.o .libs/scopeptr.o .libs/node.o
.libs/nodeptr.o .libs/nodetypeptr.o .libs/nodeclassptr.o .libs/bvolume.o
.libs/script.o .libs/ScriptJDK.o .libs/browser.o .libs/Viewer.o .libs/font.o
.libs/VrmlRenderContext.o .libs/VrmlFrustum.o
.libs/vrml97node.o -Wl,--whole-archive
../../../lib/antlr/.libs/libantlr.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive  -L/usr/lib/gcc-l
ib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2 -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/../../.. -lgcc -
lgcc -lgcc -lgcc -lcygwin -luser32 -lkernel32 -ladvapi32 -lshell32 -lgcc
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/crtend.o  -o
.libs/cygopenvrml-2.dll -Wl,--image-base=0x10000000 -Wl,--out-implib,.libs/l
ibopenvrml.dll.a

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: out
of memory allocating 85024 bytes after a total of 333393920 bytes
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
---

I've tried this on a couple of Cygwin installations, one on a machine with
512 MB RAM, with the same result. It compiles and links successfully on
Linux (Red Hat 8.0)with the same amount of system memory.

If someone would like to try to reproduce this, you'll probably need to get
the CVS version of OpenVRML:

CVSROOT is
":pserver:[email-masked]:/cvsroot/openvrml".
Module name is "openvrml".

Once checked out, run "bootstrap.sh", then configure with these arguments:

$
./configure --without-x --without-spidermonkey --without-jdk --without-ftfli
b --without-doxygen CXXFLAGS="-g -O0"

Let me know if there's anything I can do to assist debugging this.

Braden

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/