Subject: Re: Text problems with Cygwin >1.1.14 and TinyFugue
From: Jeremy Hetzler <[email-masked]>
To: Jonathan Fosburgh <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 19:10:01 -0800

At 07:59 AM 11/12/2002 -0600, Jonathan Fosburgh wrote:
>The problem was first noticed with Cygwin 1.1.14 but I wanted to see if it
>would persist in a later release, which it has.  I have noticed in in 1.1.15
>as well.  When trying to use TinyFugue (http://tf.tcp.com/~hawkeye/tf) with
>these versions of Cygwin I cannot enter text.  When I try to type anything I
>am present with an unending stream of garbage. It bears a resemblance to
>binary. The only way to quit tf with these versions of Cygwin is to close the
>window.  I tried reconfiguring/recompiling against 1.1.15 but that did not
>work. Backing out to 1.1.13-2, the last working version, does work.
>Interestingly, the version compiled against 1.1.15 does work with the older
>version of Cygwin. I built a version of tf with debugging symbols, but I was
>unable to see any problems with what it is doing.  The problems are
>independent of the shell I run tf under; I tried with bash and zsh and both
>produced the same results.  I had the same problems regardless of whether or
>not I used visual mode in tf as well.  Can anyone help?

Looks like a weird interaction between Cygwin, rxvt and tf. When you press 
a key, tf doesn't receive it. Instead, something starts printing what look 
like scancodes (lots of Ps, tildes, and ['s) out to the screen ad 
infinitum. If you kill tf, the keys you pressed while it was running show 
up in the rxvt buffer. (tf 4.0s1, Cygwin 1.3.15-2, rxvt 2.7.2, win2ksp3)

You might try switching to windows console as a workaround.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/