Subject: Re: cygwin 1.3.15-1 crash Windows 2000
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 18:54:14 -0500

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 03:44:12PM -0800, Ian Burrell wrote:
>I updated to Cygwin 1.3.15-1 yesterday and since then have crashed
>Windows 2000 a few times.  I am running Windows 2000 SP3 build 2195.
>
>I do have Norton Antivirus 2003 installed but some of the crashes
>happened when it was disabled.  I had trouble with Norton Utilities in
>the past and uninstalled an old version when I installed the new
>version of NAV a few weeks ago.  There haven't been any problems until
>I updated cygwin1.dll.
>
>The crashes happened when:
>
>1. Killing hung perl process
>2. Starting multiple rxvt bash windows
>
>I looked at the dumps with dumpchk.exe.  All the crashes were from
>bash.exe process (version 2.05b7), in the ntoskrnl, and the
>Kei386EoiHelper function.  I have minidump and complete memory dumps if
>anyone wants to analyze them.

If bash is doing something to crash your Windows 2000 then there is
something wrong with your Windows 2000.  That's a given with any modern
OS like anything with a Windows NT vintage (but not Windows 95 and its
variants of course).  User programs should not be able to crash an OS
unless you are running as a privileged user, and even then, it's not
real likely.

Likely candidates for your crash are hard disk problems, either with a
bad disk or corrupted disk, memory problems or other hardware problems,
a bad driver, your virus checker (disabled doesn't necessarily mean it's
not running), or corrupted OS files.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/