Subject: Re: binutils 20021107-2
From: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
To: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: 10 Nov 2002 10:45:48 +1100

On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 05:58, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> 
> 
> > Shouldn't there be a few more entries in this list, like libmingwex,
> > libmingwthrd, libmsvcrt (maybe).  I don't know if any of those libraries
> > have globals that could be erroneously exported but doesn't it pay to
> > be safe?
> 
> 
> libmingwex -- maybe.  I dunno -- that's for Danny and/or Earnie to say. 
>   You really only need library-name based protection for static libs; 
> symbols in import libs are protected from re-export by symbol-exclude 
> lists (_nm_*,__imp__*, etc).  libmsvcrt, libmingwthrd -- no (because 
> they are implibs).

A light just went on. We could use a "exclude system archive" flag -
dont' export symbols originating from libraries in /usr/local/lib/* or
/usr/lib/* ( and possibly the gcc lib dir as well - although I think
that is a spec thing, as it's gcc's decision to have the library given a
certain name).

Whaddya think?

Rob

-- 
---
GPG key available at: http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt.
---