Subject: Re: 1.3.15: "ls -l" integer overflow
From: Shankar Unni <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 11:02:57 -0800

Rares Boian wrote:

> However, "ls -lh" seems to be able to deal with that number and 
> reports it correctly as 16-exabytes.

              ^^^^^^^^^

What?!? 16 exabytes?! That's what? 16 * 10^18? Are you joking? All the 
disks on earth wouldn't add up to that capacity. (Well, maybe they would 
in these days of cheap 100GB disks, but it's a close thing :-).

It's simply reporting the 18446744072770031616 number in a compact 
format. The internal *value* is wrong, because it's doing an incorrect 
32->64 bit conversion somewhere, but the format doesn't make the result 
correct.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/