Subject: Re: question about cygdrive flags string in the registry (Win 2000)
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:51:54 -0500

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 05:34:30PM +0200, Viviana Cotirlea wrote:
>I ported a database application on Windows 2000 using cygwin. For testing 
>reasons I put on a clean (no cygwin installed) Windows 2000 machine the 
>generated app.exe and the cygwin1.dll. For some reason the dbopen() call 
>failed when trying to read the created before database.
>After trying to investigating the problem, I found out that it is working 
>if in the registry the following data exists:
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
>cygdrive flags 22
>
>If this is missing the dbopen() call will fail.
>
>My question is: Because at one point I would like to distribute the product 
>to others also, and I don't want to obligate them to install the cygwin, I 
>would like to know why this string is required, and if my only solution 
>would be to add that key in the registry if the cygwin is not already 
>installed on that machine?

This is probably a binmode/textmode thing.  I don't know what the flags
are but probably dbopen needs to open files in binary and hasn't been
properly ported to do this without help from the cygwin mount command.
See "mount --help".

I am concerned when you talk about distributing the product, however.
It's just a knee jerk reaction on my part but whenever I hear "distribute
the product" coupled with "don't want..them to install the (sic) cygwin",
I wonder about licensing issues.

You are aware that your product is now GPLed right?  You need to distribute
both the source code for your product and, if you are providing a copy
of the cygwin dll (shudder) you need to provide source code for that.  This
is only negotiable if you've purchased a license from Red Hat.  Otherwise,
you must use the GPL.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/