Subject: ssh-host-config suggestion (was: Re: Updated: OpenSSH-3.5p1-1)
From: Ralf Fassel <[email-masked]>
To: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 17:49:57 +0100

* Corinna Vinschen
| I've updated the version of OpenSSH to 3.5p1-1.

A short remark on the ssh-host-config script:
- I upgraded to 3.4p1 recently and `it' did not work: the logfile
  complained about `wrong mode or owner of /var/empty'.
- I then manually chown/chmod'ed the directory to system.system, no
  success, same complaint.  I re-checked the permissions, they were
  still admin.admin, so the `chown' did not work, but there was no
  error message
- only by coincidence I realized that the CYGWIN environment variable
  was not set in the current SHELL (don't ask how that could have
  happened -- it was set before).  After setting it to the default
  `binmode tty ntsec', the chown worked, and subsequently sshd started ok.

Suggestion:
- the ssh-host-config script should make sure that CYGWIN contains
  `ntsec' when trying the chmod/chown steps
- could `chown' be modified to complain if it fails to do the work it
  was supposed to do?  It seems that the exit status is 0, and besides
  that the script simply does not care about the exit status of chown.

Best regards and thanks again for Openssh on cygwin!
R'

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/