Subject: Re: CYGWIN Installer should setup a root environment variable
From: Sven Köhler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 12:42:21 +0100

> >I have experienced many times situations which I would like to refer to
> >CYGWIN's root directory from a bat script. The most generic solution
> >would be to utilise an environment variable such as CYGROOT or (as in
> >startxwin.bat) CYGWIN_ROOT to refer to the absolute windows pathname
> >(e.g. D:\cygwin). This would free us from making assumptions if it was
> >setup during the installation utility. The environment variable should
> >be setup for system if installed for "All Users".
>
>
> `cygpath -w /`

nice idea, but how does he execute cygpath, if he doesn't know the 
cygwin-root? he is talking about a _batch_-script, not a shell script.

there is only one solution, because even if you know cygwin's root-dir, 
yu cannot be sure to know cygwin's bin-dir - it could be mounted to a 
totally different directory.

i would recomm writing shell-scripts instead of batch-scripts.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/