Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: mrxvt - a tabbed rxvt hack for Win32 (in development)
From: "Soren Andersen" <[email-masked]>
To: "Rui Carmo" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 19:30:49 UT

[posted and mailed -- sorry, no Subject: in 1st sending, this is
re-sent to Rui and the Cygwin List]
Re: ANNOUNCE: mrxvt - a tabbed rxvt hack for Win32 (in development)
On Sat, 02 Nov 2002 22:29:36, Rui Carmo <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello all,
> 
> I've been hacking together a "multiple" rxvt (essentially a tabbed
> window holder that lets you switch between multiple rxvt windows).

Sounds REAL good.

> The project page is at
> 
> http://na-cama.com/rcarmo/index.php/Projects/mrxvt
> 
> And even though it is not available (yet), I'd like to have some
> feedback on it (essentially food for thought). I'd also like to know
> if anywone is working on:
> 
> - porting screen to Cygwin (it compiles great, but installation needs
> a lot of tweaking)
> - a "full" tabbed terminal that runs in Win32 (using W11, like rxvt).
> 

There's been discussion of that recently on the Cygwin List. See the
bottom of this msg for a pasted copy of the first article i have in that
thread. 

BTW I do not know what "W11" is. Maybe most rxvt users do, I have only
recently been using rxvt sometimes.

Also please note this recommendation re:
> Please reply to me directly, since I am not subscribed to the list (my
> mail traffic simply cannot cope with another mailing-list...)

IMHO you should be reading (subscribed to) the Cygwin List, Rui. For one
thing it is of course a breach of standard List netiquette to ask for
help or post a proposal for discussion and then ask for off-list replies.
Netiquette aside, there's a practical reason. Suppose, as could very well
happen, that in 3 weeks somebody reads this List and comes across your
message, and this someone knows something that might help you or might
pertain to your project. They might even know a little thing that will
help you break through a deadlock you find yourself in. But this person
is busy and thinks to themselves "I don't know who Rui has heard from
[off-List], probably he's got all the input he needs by now, I won't
answer this...". You lose.

I understand your problem with List traffic, I have long struggled with
same. I have the solution for you. Go to www.gmane.org (the Gmane
project) and set up Gmane server in your favorite NNTP news reader
software. Subscribe to the Cygwin List as one of the Newsgroups
(psuedo-newsgroups we might say, actually) once you have downloaded the
long list of available ng's. Pay careful attention to Gmane FAQs and
instructions. Set your newsreader if possible to use a custom header
field "Archive:" with value "encrypt" particularly. (On Windows, "Xnews"
does fine). This protects your email address from spammer harvesting; you
MUST use your valid, unmunged email addy to post to Gmane ng's (contrary
to popular practice on open USENET ng's).

IMHO any project which brings more powerful or stable, and flexible
terminal - console choices to Cygwin can add significant value to Cygwin.
Your project sounds like it has good potential. I hope you get the help
you need from wherever, and I hope you follow my recommendation and
subscribe to the Cygwin List using Gmane so that everyone here can follow
your progress and learn if they care to.

   Regards,
    Soren A

---------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Rafael Kitover" <caelum -AT- debian -DOT- org>
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin
Subject: Screen for cygwin
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:40:27 -0700
Message-ID: <000101c27b7c$0ebd3fc0$b900a8c0@CAELUM>

> My version of screen for cygwin, which I actually finished putting
> together a month ago is here:
> 
> http://www.io.com/~rkitover/screen-3.9.13.tar.gz
> 
> It will configure and compile on cygwin with no tweaking. It will
> support detach and attach, however the terminal size issue is still
> there and I haven't managed to find a workaround. I tried to get these
> changes merged upstream but haven't received any sort of response yet. I
> probably need to make a cleaner patch. For now if you're interested in
> screen please feel free to use this!
> 
> -- 
> Rafael

-- 
http://fastmail.fm - Accessible with your email software
		      or over the web

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/