Subject: Re: Setup freezes installing from local dir
From: Huijing Zhou <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 01:08:45 +0100
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

> It's not clear why you would think that you'd have to change your answer
> the second time around either.  If you specified z:\cygwin the first time
> then it should be fairly obvious that you should specific z:\cygwin the
> second time.

I thought so because I was familar to the old Setup in which I chose the 
directory containing the "setup.ini".

> In any event, I suspect that in this case "freezes" probably means
> "didn't wait long enough".  It can take setup a little while to digest
> the information in the local directory if you've downloaded a number of
> packages.  So, you should wait a few minutes (depending on the speed
> of your computer) before concluding that setup is hung.

You are right. I just had to wait. Still I would prefer Setup showing 
some signs of life, or at least pre-warn the user it would act like 
freezing now. Since if Task Manager says Setup is "Not responding", most 
user would believe Setup is dead.

> You don't have to worry about what kind of directories setup creates,
> actually.  Just use the same directory for each invocation.

Sometimes for some reason I renamed the lengthy "http%3a%2f%2f..." 
directory to something shorter. Is that allowed? Would Setup still find 
the subdirectory or does it only look for "http...", "ftp..." etc.? Is 
is even allowed to move "setup.ini" and "release" to the same directory 
with "setup.exe" and delete the "http%3a%2f%2f..."?

> setup does state it clearly.  It should default to the directory that
 > you used the first time you downloaded.

Where? Setup shows the same explaining text whether you chose "Install 
from Internet", "Download from Internet" or "Install from Local 
Directory". I think different, case specific texts would be better.

 > If that isn't a big enough hint for you then hopefully this email makes
 > it clear.

In fact your mail does. Thanks a lot.

Huijing

-- 
Huijing Zhou <[email-masked]>
CIP Computer Lab, Faculty of Economics
University of Karlsruhe, Germany
http://www2.wiwi.uni-karlsruhe.de

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/