Subject: Re: Setup freezes installing from local dir
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 18:18:55 -0500

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 11:22:27PM +0100, Huijing Zhou wrote:
>First I ran Cygwin Setup, chose "Download from Internet" and selected 
>"z:\cygwin" as "Local Package Directory". The download ended without an 
>error. Then I ran Setup again and chose to "Install from Local 
>Directory", again "z:\cygwin" as "Local Package Directory", and Setup 
>froze after initiating the the next step titled "Progress".
>
>Since it's not clear what "Local Package Directory" I should use, I ran 
>Setup again and this time selected "z:\cygwin\http%3a%2f%2f...", where 
>"setup.ini" and "release" are located. Still Setup froze the same way.

It's not clear why you would think that you'd have to change your answer
the second time around either.  If you specified z:\cygwin the first time
then it should be fairly obvious that you should specific z:\cygwin the
second time.

In any event, I suspect that in this case "freezes" probably means
"didn't wait long enough".  It can take setup a little while to digest
the information in the local directory if you've downloaded a number of
packages.  So, you should wait a few minutes (depending on the speed
of your computer) before concluding that setup is hung.

>I got the same problem over half a year ago, and I gave up that time. I 
>did not have this kind of problem back when Setup did not create 
>subdirectories like "http%3a%2f%2f...".

You don't have to worry about what kind of directories setup creates,
actually.  Just use the same directory for each invocation.

>What is supposed to be the "Local Package Directory"? The one you 
>specified when downloading, or its "http%3a%2f%2f..." subdirectory? It's 
>confusing, and I strongly suggest to make Setup state it clearly while 
>installing from local dir.

setup does state it clearly.  It should default to the directory that
you used the first time you downloaded.  If that isn't a big enough hint
for you then hopefully this email makes it clear.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/