Subject: Re: gdb hangs on a 486
From: "J. David Bryan" <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin List <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:47:10 -0500

On 30 Oct 2002 at 23:13, CBFalconer wrote:

> I have been trying out gdb in Cygwin, and found it to hang and/or crash
> under W98, running on a 486. 

I tried gdb (the version you cited) with the windowed interface on a 486 
running NT 4.0, and it appeared to work fine on a simple "hello, world" 
test program.  Do you have steps to reproduce your problem?

Regarding the "i686" configuration, I believe Randall Schulz cited the 
appropriate part of the gcc manual, i.e., unless specifically directed to 
do so, the compiler will output i386 instructions.  I don't have a 486 
datasheet handy, but I'm reasonably certain that the 486 had an illegal 
instruction trap (the 386 did), so if a Pentium-only instruction was 
encountered, you'd encounter an exception.  Are you getting illegal 
instruction exceptions?

As a data point, I've run Cygwin on a 486 system for some years and never 
had a problem related to the CPU configuration.

                                      -- Dave

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/