Subject: gdb hangs on a 486
From: CBFalconer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 23:13:39 -0500

I have been trying out gdb in Cygwin, and found it to hang and/or
crash under W98, running on a 486.  The output of gdb --version
is:

> $ gdb --version
> GNU gdb 5.0 (20010428-3)
> Copyright 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin".
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This appears unwarranted.  I would have assumed gdb would test and
adapt itself to the processor on which it is running.

The whole system was downloaded through setup within the past 20
days.  Gdb came up in a windowed rather than command line
version.  After the hang the mouse was dead and the system needed
rebooting.  I normally can run for weeks without reboots.

Under DJGPP I am running gdb 5.1.1, with no apparent
difficulties.  There the configuration says "i386-pc-msdosdjgpp"

-- 
Chuck F ([email-masked]) ([email-masked])
   Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>  USE worldnet address!

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/