Subject: Re: no dice yet on .net server?
From: "Michael D. Crawford" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:43:05 -0400

A while back I wrote an opinion piece about how OS vendors to developers a 
disservice by getting them to write their apps to platform-specific APIs:

Freeing the Developer from OS Vendor Shackles
http://zoolib.sourceforge.net/doc/why.html

I think the posix subsystem in NT was originally meant to qualify Windows for 
government procurement.  It's for much the same reason that Apple developed A/UX.

But now that lots of people in the government are using Windows, they're using 
Win32 apps and not running stuff in posix anymore.  So I guess those regulations 
seem to have fallen by the wayside.

Mike
-- 
Michael D. Crawford
GoingWare Inc. - Expert Software Development and Consulting
http://www.goingware.com/
[email-masked]

      Tilting at Windmills for a Better Tomorrow.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/