Subject: Re: no dice yet on .net server?
From: CBFalconer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 02:09:30 -0400

tprinceusa wrote:
> 
... snip ...
> >
> I witnessed a Microsoft lecture today where the speaker said over
> and over again that .NET is the answer to everything, including
> all applications currently running on any OS, but they will NOT
> support anything which supports posix, although there may be a new
> Interix in the works.  They invite anyone who is important enough
> to sign up for 3 days or a week of help in Redmond to get their
> applications changed to a version which will run only on .NET and
> differentiate it from what could be done on linux [or cygwin?].
> To me, at least, this looked like confirmation that they disfavor
> cygwin.

I have a book here about the organization and creation of NT,
written in the NT3.1 days.  The writer was female, and I forget
her name (the book is not at hand).  It specifically states that
one of the design objectives was a complete Posix layer, on an
equal basis with the W32 layer.  At the time the system seemed to
make a lot of sense to me, but it sounds as if they have dropped
everything not intimately connected with oligarchy.

-- 
Chuck F ([email-masked]) ([email-masked])
   Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>  USE worldnet address!

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/