Subject: Re: Simplifying Cygwin PosgreSQL Installation
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Glenn Murray <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:07:40 -0400

Glenn,

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 11:04:01AM -0600, Glenn Murray wrote:
> Thanks again for the reply.

No problem.  However, this thread is getting off-topic (and
cross-posted) so we should end it very soon or take it off-list, if
necessary.

> I think that command line support in setup.exe is a great idea.  I
> noticed when browsing through the source code that there were comments
> about it.  With command line support many, if not all of the dialogs
> could be skipped, and it might make it possible to install Cygwin as
> part of other applications when no/slow internet connections are
> present.  This would be ideal.

Agreed.

> I'd like to contribute, too, but there are issues:
> [snip]
> I don't think I'm the right guy for the job, ...
> [snip]

OK.

> I don't believe there is a single Java app in Cygwin, is there?

You are correct.  Note that I didn't realize that your app was a Java
app.  If so, then I would not have made the suggestion to contribute it.

> Nor do there seem to be large packages for specialized audiences like
> ours.  I'm not sure that Cygwin ever intends to have such packages.

Actually, there some specialized ones but maybe not quite as specialized
as yours. :,)

> On the other hand, if the Cygwin install process could be streamlined,
> its tools could be used by application developers and piggy-backed on
> their installations,

Agreed, but...

> and a lot more bona fide Cygwin distributions would be installed.
> (Just musing out loud, here.)

Actually, there are many Cygwin installations already.

Jason

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/