Subject: Re: Simplifying Cygwin PosgreSQL Installation
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Glenn Murray <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:39:21 -0400

Glenn,

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 04:46:51PM -0600, Glenn Murray wrote:
> Thank you very much for your reply, I am learning a lot already.

You are welcome.

> Keep in mind that my goal is to simplify installation of Cygwin
> PostreSQL, not to mention cygipc.  The difficult part of the install
> is navigating through the setup.exe dialogs.  Your Suggestion #2
> reproduces that problem and your Suggestion #3 makes it harder.  Only
> your Suggestion #1 might simplify this by enabling me to tell the user
> to "Hit the `Next' button until done", so let me ask about that.

Agreed.  You can solve the above issue, by contributing command line
support to Cygwin's setup.exe.  Note that the infrastructure required
for this support is already implemented.  Search cygwin-apps@ for the
details.

> By "Create a minimal Cygwin mirror" do you mean create a space on a
> web server and put files (as described in
> http://cygwin.com/setup.html) that setup.exe can find?

Yes.

> I did a search in cygwin-apps for "upset" and found lots of references
> but not an explanation.  I take it that upset helps build a setup.ini
> file which gets downloaded from the mirror.

Yes.

> Where do you get it?  I didn't find "upset" as a cygwin package.

See the following:

    http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-07/msg00175.html

> How does setup.exe see this mirror and not the official Cygwin
> mirrors, i.e., how do I "point my Windows users" to that particular
> mirror?

Just tell your users to enter your specified "User URL" in the "Choose A
Download Site" dialog.

Jason

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/