Subject: Re: Simplifying Cygwin PosgreSQL Installation
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Glenn Murray <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:29:13 -0400

Glenn,

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:14:36AM -0600, Glenn Murray wrote:
> It seems that the best solution would be to provide a self-contained
> Cygwin PostgreSQL installation that works independently of a
> previously existing installation.

The above is not possibly because it violates the one Cygwin DLL per
system restriction.

> Comments or solutions?

Suggestion #1:
=============

1. Package your software as a Cygwin setup.exe installable tarball.

2. Automate the installation steps in the Cygwin PostgreSQL README:

    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.2.3.README

as a shell script and post it to [email-masked].  I will add this
script to the Cygwin PostgreSQL distribution as a postinstall script, if
done properly.

3. Create a minimal Cygwin mirror plus your package and cygipc using
upset to generate a setup.ini file that matches your mirror.  Search
cygwin-apps@ for info regarding upset.  Search the pgsql-cygwin@
archives for the (incomplete) work done to determine the minimum Cygwin
packages required by PostgreSQL.

4. Point your Windows users to your mirror and instruct them to use
Cygwin's setup.exe to install the software.

Suggestion #2:
=============

1. Same as above

2. Same as above

3. Contribute your package to the standard Cygwin distribution.

4. Same as above but point your Windows users to any Cygwin mirror.

Suggestion #3:
=============

1. Same as above

2. Same as above

3. Same as above but create a (partial) mirror that only contains your
package and cygipc.

4. Same as above but point your Windows users to any Cygwin mirror plus
your mirror.  Note that Cygwin's setup.exe can install from multiple
mirrors simultaneously.

Although the above suggestions may be more work than desired, it will
guarantee that your software will always coexist nicely with the
standard Cygwin distribution.

Jason

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/