Subject: Re: Copy-on-write fork
From: Sven Köhler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:42:33 +0200

> A test program and statistics are shown below which clearly show Cygwin's
> fork implementation in the lead.

how much memory did your programs allocate prior to fork()ing?
copy-on-write might only apply to applications with high memory-usage.

another thing i didn't understand was, why you took a the real-time for 
mesuring?

i can do "time mc" and exit mc after 10sec and time will show real-time 
10sec but the _real cpu-time_ is below <1sec.
the CPU-times consumed by the copy-on-write-implemention is _lower_ than 
cygwin-implementation's CPU-time.

so why are you guys worried?

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/