Subject: Re: install xerces-c-src2_1_0 under cygwin
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: "Judy Wang" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:53:42 +0200

Hallo Abraham,

you wrote:

> 1) gcc 3.2 was released this week via setup.exe (i.e. you don't need to do
> "Exp" anymore)

Ah, I didn't saw this yet.

> 2) I'll write up a bug on getting the build instructions updated.  This is a
> task that I had meant to get to, but wasn't sure whether to do that first or
> get the cygwin package built and deployed.

Great.

> 3) I have an idea of why it isn't linking against libxerces-c2_1_0.dll.  The
> most likely scenario is the topic of a bug that I just entered, where the
> symlinks created in $XERCESCROOT/lib/ don't work the way they are expected
> to under cygwin.  I'm working on a patch for this right now.

One cannot symlink DLL's on Windows.  You can hardlink or copy it, but it
should not be neccessary, one can use a symlink to link the importlibs
libxerces-c.a -> libxerces-c-2.1.0.a so you can use -lxerces-c at the
linkline when compiling your own application.  Anyway the linker should
pick libxerces-c-2.1.0.dll as rt.
BTW, there is some consensus that cygwin DLL's should be prefixed with
'cyg' instead of 'lib' to differentiate them from native Windows libs.

> 4) instead of downloading each .tar.bz2 file from my site and extracting
> them manually, you can also try using the "User URL" feature of cygwin
> setup.exe and point it to http://abackus.imagineis.com and everything will
> be automagically installed in the proper locations if you select
> "xerces-c-devel" under the Devel tree in the setup wizard.  Note that you
> won't be able to link against this pre-built dll unless you have gcc 3.2.

It is really important to point this out!  C++ code built with GCC3 is not
binary compatible with code compiled with GCC2.

> Thanks!
> -Abe

Thank you :-)

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/