Subject: RE: Problems
From: Doug Whiting <[email-masked]>
To: "'Igor Pechtchanski '" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked] '" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 09:05:30 -0700

Thanks. No offense taken, though I actually had searched through the
gcc/chmod stuff fairly carefully, and nothing suggested there had worked. I
finally just turned OFF the ntsec stuff (CYGWIN=nontsec), and that fixed the
problem!  It appears that there's a bug of some sort with either the new
default setting or the ntsec functionality itself. Anyway, now chmod and gcc
work fine, but I'm not sure how I should have guessed to go against the
grain by turning off the feature that is claimed by all the emails to fix
the bug :-(

The emacs C-X C-c worked after adding the tty element, but I had to take out
the space before and after '=' in the batch file.  That is
   set CYGWIN = tty
did not work, but
   set CYGWIN=tty
did work!  Anyway, thanks for that pointer, as it was not at all obvious
from the (too many) matches to my search queries. Kinda seems like tty
should be the default, but in any case I'm up and rolling now.

Thanks again.

-----Original Message-----
From: Igor Pechtchanski
To: Doug Whiting
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: 10/19/02 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: Problems

Doug,

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Doug Whiting wrote:

> I just installed Cygwin from the Internet, and things are very close
to
> working fine. I have run quite a few things successfully, but there
are
> three annoying problems, listed below, that I'm hoping have a simple
> solution. I looked in your email threads and couldn't find a solution
that
> works for me.  FYI, I'm running Win2K Professional on a Toshiba Tecra
8200,
> with 20GB disk (8GB free) and 256M RAM.
>
> 1) The exe files produced by gcc (e.g., even "hello world") are not
> executable. I added set CYGWIN=ntsec in the startup batch file, but
that
> made no difference. I'm an administrator on the system, so I have all
> rights.  When I use the Windows Explorer to set the security of the
file
> a.exe to executable, it runs fine, but that's hard to put in a
makefile
> :-(

Normally people are assumed to make a reasonable effort in searching the
archives, and it's understood that it's hard to phrase a query
correctly.
However, in this case, searching for "gcc exe not executable" (in the
October archives) produced multiple relevant messages.  I refer you to
those.
FYI, ntsec is on by default in Cygwin-1.3.13+.

> 2) In trying to fix the above, I found that chmod doesn't work.
> I get the following error message, no matter what switches I try to
give it
> (and I've tried a lot):
>         $ chmod a+x a.exe
>         chmod: changing permissions of `a.exe': Invalid argument
> Perhaps these two problems are related, but together they make life
> quite difficult. It seems almost like chmod is not complaining about
the
> syntax, not the inability to set the attribute, but of course that may
> be reading too much into the error message.

Same problem as above.  FWIW, you could have searched for "chmod doesn't
work".

> 3) An apparently unrelated problem with Emacs: when I type C-x C-c to
> kill (exit) Emacs, the computer just beeps at me and does nothing. I
> have to do "M-x Kill Emacs", which is a real pain.

Again, the proper search query is "emacs Ctrl-C"...  As there are quite
a
few unrelated messages in the results, I'll answer this one: you should
look into the 'tty' setting in your CYGWIN variable.

> Any ideas on these problems? It's probably just some simple
configuration
> stuff, but I've spent a few hours fiddling with it to no avail.

Archive search and Google are your friends. :-D
No offense,
	Igor
-- 
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		[email-masked]
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_		[email-masked]
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'		Igor Pechtchanski
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL	a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science,
Oct'02, p.51

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/