Subject: <crlf> vs <lf> and use of diff
From: CBFalconer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:25:30 -0400

I have some makefiles used with DJGPP which perform regression and
portability tests on my software.  They check things by doing a
run and then executing "diff -q" between the captured run and a
saved version.  The tests are run by a .bat file, and want to also
be runnable by a shell script.

They don't work.  The saved versions have <crlf> line endings, and
the newly created files have <lf> endings.  I thought that diff
ignored these differences as long as the files were not binary (no
<nul>s).  The -a option makes no difference.  I don't want to
revise the saved files because that would foul their utility
elsewhere.

I am using diff 2.8 on DJGPP, diff 2.8.1 on Cygwin.  Is this a
porting bug or a GNU bug or neither, and is there a workaround.

I also thought that I had read somewhere that the cygwin libraries
generated <crlf> output lines, but it is obviously not so.

Yes, I have read the FAQ and the UG.  Maybe I missed something.

-- 
Chuck F ([email-masked]) ([email-masked])
   Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>  USE worldnet address!

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/