Subject: Re: Cygwin version of GNU Nano does not accept CTRL-C
From: "Gareth Pearce" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 03:42:43 +0000

dropped nano-devel since this would be offtopic for there now.
>
>Perfect, just added "CYGWIN=tty" to the environment variables and all is 
>fine.  Thanks.
good

>
>Maybe a dumb question.  Why does Cygwin not automatically update 
>environment variables as part of the installation?  Or at least ask if they 
>should be updated?
Well thats a little complex... - in win9x/ME - it would have to edit
autoexec.bat - win NT/2k/XP - fiddle with the system control panel
settings wherever they are stored.  And then theres system vs
user.

The post install script could add a /etc/profile.d/ entry - but the tty
variable is supposed to be set before initialising cygwin or else it
can do some bizare things that are not so nice.

In either case - asking a question in a postinstal script would be
against the current trend of usage of postinstall scripts which work
without interaction.  (and if unattended setup work is to reach
completition, they should probably stay that way)

Otherwise - it would have to be done by the setup program itself
and I suspect that Robert would not be interested in that given
that hes trying to make setup purely data-driven.

and Not asking a question - is not the go since while for best
usage nano and emacs (and others?) need tty.  Nano at least
is mostly functional without it.  And tty is an option for a reason,
people have experienced problems with tty On.

While I might think that tty should be on by default thus avoiding
these problems alltogeather, having never experienced tty
related problems.  I dont use a very broad range of cygwin
related things and so am probably not representitive of the
broader cygwin communitiy.
However I didnt expect ntsec to have become the default
so soon - maybe tty will change despite my expectations
to the contrary.

Gareth

_________________________________________________________________
Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access! 
http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/