Subject: Setup and recovering from mistakes.
From: CBFalconer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 20:25:48 -0400

Last week I downloaded and used setup for the minimal cygwin
system.  I used the 'download from internet' and 'install from
download' options rather blindly, because I could not see how to
select packages.  More on that later.

This installation basically provided bash, info, ls, etc. and
seems to be trouble free.

Now I wanted more.  Still unable to select properly, I did select
several areas which included development, editors, documentation,
and launched the download phase.

5 hours of darkness later I have approximately 93 Meg of .bz2
files installed in a set of directories under
\cygwin\cygdnld\ftp.... (from the W95 view of directories).  I
have no wish to repeat any such massive download.  My wife has
fits when the phone line is tied up for any extensive period.

I now find that setup will make no selection from the download
when told to 'install from download'.

Q1: How can I select packages of interest?  I don't want to
install emacs.  I have no idea what lillypond is.  I do want gcc
and gdb and Xwindows (maybe not Xwindows for now).  I do want the
documentation.  In other areas my ignorance shines.

Q2: How can I rearrange this download for future use.  I want to
move the .bz2 files to an independant disk.

Q3: How is the setup system keeping track?  I have now guessed
that the bz2 files were packed on demand, and not simply
downloaded.

Q4: Where is some thorough documentation of the care and feeding
of 'setup'.  It certainly deserves to have some sort of help
facility.

or do I have to blow everything away and start over?  I hope not.

The faq is here and printed, and gives me no help in this area.  I
assume the user guide comes with the documentation package, at any
rate I have not located it.

-- 
Chuck F ([email-masked]) ([email-masked])
   Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>  USE worldnet address!

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/