Subject: RE: UW imapd and cygwin1.dll 1.3.13-2
From: "D. N. Knisely" <[email-masked]>
To: "Eduardo Chappa" <[email-masked]>, "Joshua Daniel Franklin" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:17:14 -0500

Thank you for the information.  I have tried three binary versions of imapd
(all different) and have built my own binary.  All four versions have the
same behavior which is new to cygwin1.dll version 1.3.13-2.

imapd will load.  With cygwin1.dll version 1.3.12 (and various earlier
versions), imapd worked very well with MS Outlook.  When I try it with
1.3.13-2, Outlook hangs (as well as imapd).  When I do an strace on the
imapd process, I get:

$ strace -p 3240
Attached to pid 3240 (windows pid 3008)
    6       6 [sig] imapd 3240 wait_sig: looping

It looks like something has changed in 1.3.13-2 related to poll or waiting
for signals?  Possibly there has always been a race condition that is now
occurring 100% of the time with 1.3.13-2, but never occurred with previous
versions.

Has anything changed related to polling/waiting for signals in 1.3.13?

Doug Knisely

*** Joshua Daniel Franklin ([email-masked]) wrote today:

:) > The multiple cygwin1.dll version is generally a good idea, but for
:) > old apps with only binaries available, it was nice to use multiple
:) > copies sparingly. It would be nice to have a CYGWIN variable to
:) > disable the strict multiple cygwin1.dll version checking feature.
:)
:) I don't know if this would help you, but UW does provide source at:
:)
:) http://www.washington.edu/imap/
:)
:) I also think the same fellow who ported Pine to cygwin had gotten imapd
:) to compile as well... Eduardo Chappa (sorry if misspelled).
:)
:) Besides that, you'll have to get some details on why it won't start or
:) what kind of errors it gives with only the latest DLL in your path.

Let me tell you my part of the story. I have compiled the imapd server,
and as to how I understand that it should work, it works. However, one of
the people in this forum tells me that it does not work for him. James
Grishaw maintains the Cygwin port of the UW-IMAP server, which can be
found here.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/uw-imap-cygwin/

A couple of weeks ago I was trying to set up an IMAP server in my laptop,
which runs Windows 2000 Pro, and tried my version of the server, and it
wouldn't work. I downloaded the version of the server from the web page
above, and it wouldn't work either (somehow, both servers made the same
mistake, and they would not find the location of a folder). Frustrated
enough by having failed, I had to reboot my laptop in some moment, and
after I rebooted, the server distributed by James started working. I did
not try it (nor I can try it now), but I assume that both servers should
work after rebooting. I don't why one needs to reboot, or why I needed to
reboot (I had tried my server before, and it used to work, without
rebooting, strange...)

My version of the imap server (and some other tools) can be found in this
web page:

http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/info/cygwin.html

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/