Subject: Re: chmod
From: David T-G <[email-masked]>
To: FileUtils bugs <[email-masked]>
Cc: Andrei Cernea <[email-masked]>, "CygWin Users' List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 05:31:24 -0400

Andrei --

...and then Andrei Cernea said...
% 
% Hi!
% 
% I am using Cygwin 2.05. I am emailing you because of this:
% 
% ============================================
% > chmod --help
...
% 
% Report bugs to <[email-masked]>.
% ============================================
% 
% I noticed that in order for a file to have x rights on windows it needs to
% have executable extension. That is, if I have a script file with no
[snip]

Well, yes and no...  If it has a .exe or .com or .bat extension, then
it's considered obvious that it should be executable and so the x bit is
set for you.  As I understand it, if you want to be able to run a shell
script without having to use

  bash /path/to/script

then you'll need to set the x bit.  IIRC there's a way to tell Windows
and the Cygwin DLL to recognize .sh extensions, just like it already
recognizes the other three, and then naming your shell scripts
appropriately will make them executable.  Note that I don't think that
this is the same as typical file extensions, but I could be wrong.  Then
you could tie .pl to perl and who knows what else, too.  Perhaps all
that's necessary to have the system honor the shebang line is the x bit;
it's been a while since I was an active cygwin reader.

The bottom line is that you should direct your question to the cygwin
mailing list, where I've sent a copy of this message (Hi, all! Long time,
no see :-) and to which I've directed followups.  Yes, the reporting
address is the bug-fileutils mailing list, but this isn't a bug but
instead a peculiarity of the cygwin environment.

HTH & HAND

:-D
-- 
David T-G                      * There is too much animal courage in 
(play) [email-masked] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [email-masked]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"
http://www.justpickone.org/davidtg/    Shpx gur Pbzzhavpngvbaf Qrprapl Npg!