Subject: Re: New cygwin & .dir_colors
From: Soren A <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 04:15:29 +0000 (UTC)

"Jelks Cabaniss" <[email-masked]> wrote around 14 Oct 2002 
news:001c01c273af$bee42910$6601a8c0@blackie:

> Just installed the new cygwin and the old directory listing colors are
> no longer recognized.  Now it only distinguishes between normal files
> (red), directories (dark blue), and links (cyan).  It used to
> distinguish between the file types too, i.e., .zip, .c, .txt, .jpg were
> all in different colors.  Why does the new cygwin not allow this, or
> better, how do I enable it with the new cygwin?

I do not know for a fact anything about "old vs. new". In what I am going 
to suggest, I am making no claims whatsoever about something changing or 
not changing or being broken or fixed.

Step 0: what does `echo $TERM' show on your system? AFAIK it should be 
"cygwin".

Step 1: generate another colors file:

   dircolors -p >~/default_dircolors

Step 2: open in a text editor (`vim ~/default_dircolors')

Step 3: look near the top of the file for the TERM listings. You'll know 
what i mean when you see it. many, many lines each beginning with "TERM" 
and followed by a unique name.

   *** IS "cygwin" one of those entries ??? ***

If NOT,
Step 4: add an entry for cygwin: "TERM cygwin"
Step 5: copy-n-paste all your customizations from the old .dircolors file 
into the new one.
-------------------
If SO: keep on askin' about this because I have no idea what the trouble 
might be. ;-P
-------------------
Final step: do `eval dircolors ~/[your colors file name here]'. The try it 
out and see if you have what you want.

The dircolors command in Cygwin should, IMHO, output its database with a
line containing 'TERM cygwin', and the version I use doesn't do that. I
recognize your description of the colors as the default cygwin
`ls --colors' output, that's what it does when no LS_COLORS has been
provided. 

   HTH,
     Soren A

-- 
Just say NO to YAHAAPs!
(http://groups.google.com/groups?&selm=
Xns92991EB1F396ngrATT586ID%40204.127.36.1)

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/