Subject: Re: paths like //usr/local
From: Shankar Unni <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:51:08 -0700

On 10/15/2002 1:05 PM, Sven Köhler wrote:

> the sollution that paths like //comp/share are interpreted like an 
> UNC-path is just not compatible with an application might expect from a 
> unix-environment.

Don't be silly - there are Unix-y environments where "//" doesn't work 
the way you think they "should" work. The "//" notation has been used in 
many shared-filesystem implementations as a hostname or sharename prefix.

Please, leave things as they are. The POSIX standard specifically sets 
aside the leading "//" prefix for just such situations. Just because 
you've never worked in an environment like this before doesn't mean that 
the rest of us should be handicapped to accommodate you..
--
Shankar.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/