Subject: Re: Python support for Tcl 8.0
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: "Gerald S. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:39:03 -0400

Jerry,

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 02:57:37PM -0400, Gerald S. Williams wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> > I guess that when Python 2.3 is released, I will most likely have to
> > drop support for the _tkinter module.
> 
> Please let's not.

I would prefer not to drop support either.  But, to be frank, I do not
use _tkinter.  Hence, my motivation to support it is very low.  If
_tkinter is important to you (or anyone else), then please help.

> The BDFL's comments were based on the assumption that Tcl/Tk 8.0 isn't
> being used, which is clearly not true if Cygwin is stuck with it for a
> while.  Can't we ask them to keep the 8.0 special case for a while, at
> least within #ifdef CYGWIN?

I have done so already (sans the #ifdef).  I encourage you (or anyone
else) to post to python-dev@ to help support the Cygwin cause.

> (I'm not entirely sure why Tcl/Tk is stuck at 8.0--I thought Cygwin
> was supported through 8.2 or 8.3. But that's another matter.)

As Chris has already stated, it is in the archives.

> If Tcl/Tk 8.0 support is dropped from Python, I hope you don't do have
> to do anything to drop support in Cygwin (i.e., it should
> automatically build without it if Tcl/Tk 8.2+ isn't found).

We will have to wait and see what Martin has done to rip out support for
Tcl 8.0 and 8.1.  My WAG is that the _tkinter module will just not be
built.

> That way, those of us that want to use it can simply rebuild Python
> after updating Tcl/Tk.

YAWAG is that setup.py will find Tcl/Tk and build _tkinter in this case.

Jason

BTW, what is "BDFL"?

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/