Subject: ftpd slow start on win-blows
From: "Bruce P. Osler" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "Bruce Osler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:54:32 -0400

OK, I've got the latest-greatest cygwin stuff and am trying
to use the ftpd as part of debugging a company platform.
Everything appears to work _relatively_ well except for one
big thing.  The process of waking the ftpd takes about five
seconds.  That is to say, if I watch the network activity
between the UUT and my cygwin box (at the cygwin side) I see
the UUT establish the connection (SYN/SYN-ACK/SYN-ACK-ACK),
and between 4.5 and 5 seconds later I see the
"220 FTP server..." message appear.  In this example, the
cygwin environment is running under win-nt 4.0 SP6a on a
Pentium something at 1.2gHz.  This time appears to be a
minimum in that if I start using the PC it will stretch to
something longer (6 to 10 seconds).  I'm half suspicious that
this delay is caused by some NT restriction in how fast it can
fork new tasks, but I'd like to know more all the same.  Can
anybody on this list provide some help on this matter?

- Bruce

Bruce Osler
[email-masked]
Cisco Systems Inc

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/