Subject: Re: sshd problems (fixed)
From: "David Monk" <[email-masked]>
To: "Harig, Mark A." <[email-masked]>, "Len Giambrone" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:26:18 -0500

Thanks to all for all the suggestions. I tried with the stdout and stderr
flags set to /var/log/sshd.log, but I still got nothing in the log.
I finally figured this out. Or, I at least figured a workaround.
My HKEY_CURRENT_USER had the default mount points defined.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, however, did not. I added them there, just copied the
values basically, removed all my sshd configurations, /etc/ssh*, /var/emtpy,
and removed the service. Then I reran ssh-host-config, and sshd started.
ssh-host-config did get the directory perm wrong on /var/emtpy. It was set
to 0777, when 0755 is what works.

Anyway, I can only guess that this happened because I installed cygwin only
for myself originally and when I did a complete rework. The only thing I
can't figure out is why the service has ever worked. I installed pretty much
the same way originally, so with sshd running as LocalSystem, and the mount
points not defined in HKLM, how did it know where to find the keys?

Perhaps the setup should add the needed registry entries to HKLM as well as
HKCU if it can, even if the user says it's "Just for myself".

David

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/