Subject: Re: proposed CYGWIN-SSHD.HOWTO doc
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>, "elfyn mcbratney" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:04:29 -0400

At 08:52 AM 10/10/2002, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>elfyn schrieb:
>
> > I have taken a little while this morning to write a doc on how to setup sshd
> > as a service under windows nt/2000/xp to help people new to cygwin or people 
> > experiencing problems. Really want others input and experience in setting it 
> > up. Maybe be added to the OpenSSH dist. Corinna???
>
>This paragraph:
> >  Your CYGWIN environment variable needs to be set to 'tty' at least and
> >   if you want chmon/and or chown functionality 'ntsec ntea tty'. The nt*
> >   options should only be used on NT systems with NTFS partitions housing
> >   CYGWIN. warning: using the nt* options on 9x/Me systems can create large
> >   un-removable files on your system... CYGWIN=ntsec ntea tty
>
>Running SSHD as a service under SYSTEM account only works iff you're using
>CYGWIN=ntsec, not because of ch... functionality but because of switching
>the user context to the remote user who is logging into the server.

Right.  I haven't had a chance to read through this document yet but I would
bring up another issue with the above quoted paragraph.  The "ntea" and 
"ntsec" options have no affect on 9x/Me systems.  See 

Why doesn't chmod work?
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC44

for the full scope on this.

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/