Subject: Re: Gnat for win32 does not search include and library paths
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 19:43:23 -0400

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 09:05:56PM +0200, Jerry van Dijk wrote:
>Christopher Faylor writes:
>>Could I have some clarification on this?  Why would the GPL make it
>>impossible to build a cygwin-based release?  It seems like gcc is
>>licensed under the GPL and cygwin is licensed under the GPL, so...
>
>No doubt someone will at some point port GNAT to cygwin.  Two years ago
>I could not, since it required the payment of a license fee for every
>user.  That may or may not have changed, but it was the situation at
>the time the decision had to be made.

The licensing for cygwin has not changed for some time.  It is GPLed.
It has been GPLed for a long time (five+ years at least).  There is no
reason to purchase a license to build GNAT.  If that was the case, then
how could anyone release a binary version of gcc?  There are plenty of
different versions of gcc and gcc cross compilers out there.  A few come
with the cygwin net release.  Others are just built by individual users.
Some are built by individual companies.

We do have a buy-out license but I don't see how it applies here.  The
buy-out license comes into play when people do not want their binaries
to be GPLed.  In the case of gnat, since the resultatnt binary would
be GPLed anyway, the buyout wouldn't do much good.  Maybe I'm missing
something here but it is hard to see what that could be.

Anyway, Cygwin is obviously freely available and people are obviously
building programs with it using gcc.  We are obviously not asking for
money from each of...

Hey, wait a minute.  Nevermind.

Listen up, everyone!  You all owe me money.  Please send money to
my paypal account immediately if you have ever built a program using
cygwin gcc.  I'll make sure that the money goes to the appropriate
place.  :-)

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/