Subject: Re: .dll question
From: Shankar Unni <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 18:10:14 -0700

On 10/2/2002 4:19 PM, Robert Collins wrote:

> No it can't. In general, C++ compilers don't interoperate. The C++-Lite
> FAQ has a section on this.
> From memory, the issues are:
> *VMT layout
 > [..]

And before someone jumps up and asks why this can't be reverse 
engineered - apart from the general difficulty of the task, there are 
even potential patent issues, as Microsoft claims to have patented some 
clever VMT layout and optimization algorithms that they use for VC++. 
It's unclear whether another compiler can use the same algorithm (to 
match VC++) without running afoul of these patents..

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/