Subject: Re: Successful Build of rpm-4.0.3
From: Soren A <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 18:45:41 +0000 (UTC)

"Max Bowsher" <[email-masked]> wrote around 21 May 2002
news:[email-masked]: 

> ------=_NextPart_001_0016_01C200ED.5F024A70
> The attached shell script contains the steps I used to build rpm-4.0.3
> (with its included db) on an up-to-date cygwin. It is heavily based on
> the instructions by Mario Schmidt at
> http://rtfm.shagged.org/~mario/cygwin 

Max, Hey, thanks for posting this. I am wondering if you could provide
more information re. porting 'rpm' to Cygwin. Even tho this posting is
months old. 

The url above (~mario ...) is bad now. And I went to the official rpm
site and then burrowed into ftp://ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/dist/rpm-4.0.3/,
installed the source tree. 

I ran the script and it didn't quite finish installing stuff (LOTS of
stuff) before it ('make') died with some hard to understand error but it
did get far enough that I have a working rpm setup, good enough at least
to run 'rpm2cpio FOO.rmp | cpio -i...'. 

Do you have any plans to propose rpm as an official Cygwin package? And
are you interested in making the build more simple? Now that db3 is
available for Cygwin, most of the dependencies that are shipped as
bundled sources with rpm-4.0.3 can be satisfied by already-installed
cygwin packages, if one can figure out the linking details and so forth. 

Last observation: providing a build script like that is really a nice
contribution, probably beats heck out of merely providing a verbal
description of "how you did it". 

  Best,
   Soren A

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/