Subject: Re: RPM on Cygwin
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: CRAUSAZ Yann <[email-masked]>
Cc: Cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 08:44:22 -0400

Yann,

I see that you finally posted (to <[email-masked]>) which is
more appropriate than sending private email.  However, note that in this
case, the correct mailing list is <[email-masked]>.

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 11:54:00AM +0200, CRAUSAZ Yann wrote:
> You seem to have worked on porting RPM to Cygwin ? I've found a post
> (http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ cygwin/2001-07/msg00949.html) on the Cygwin
> mailing-list, which mentions that you "fought" with RPM 4.0.2.

Yes, I enjoyed the above "pleasure." :,)

> For my diploma work (I'm a computer science student in Switzerland
> actually), I have to try a port of an existing application running on
> GNU/Linx to Cygwin (title of my work : "Extension of Cygwin"), and
> I've choosen to port the latest version of RPM (4.1.8) and to
> establish a sort of "method" for porting software to Cygwin, as quite
> no paper has been written about that.

The Cygwin porting paper could be quite useful.  Note that you will
probably have to port different classes of software (e.g., network,
setuid, etc.) not just RPM in order to cover the important issues.
Would you be willing to share your paper with the Cygwin community?

> Do you think that this port is possible?

Yes.

> Do you have "tips", as you've already been working on that subject ?

Besides the above mentioned post, I can only recommend reviewing Doru
Carastan's work:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=site%3Acygwin.com+rpm+doru
> 
> Thank you, and have a nice day !

You are welcome.

Jason

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/