Subject: Re: Moving cygwin discussions to Usenet? (e.g., alt.os.cygwin)
From: Soren A <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 02:59:12 +0000 (UTC)

raphael <[email-masked]> wrote around 01 Oct 2002
news:[email-masked]: 

> Is just arogance nothing more. At least it shows a complete
> unawareness of reality. You will never ever change a MS-Word user into
> a VIM or EMAC user. And why would you?

I have to say that I really disagree with this. The specific example
given especially. I was once an "MS Word user" and now I use (G)VIM
(even to compose email). There is simply no comparison (on any level)
between the two. GVIM is the motherload of programmer-friendliness and
insanely clever extentions and capabilities and user comfort; MS Word is
designed for something completely different and does that in a way that
many people feel embodies haphazard development, obscene program bloat
and gross security openings. 

Discussing the merits of either program here is probably OT, of course.
My point is that my *own personal experience* since starting to use
Cygwin years ago (in the days of b20) is that I have been converted,
step by step, from a Windows orientation to a *nix orientation. I do not
agree that Cygwin is a blend of the two or should be seen as such (if
anything is close to a blend it would be MinGW, a topic that is ALSO
_OT_ for this List). Cygwin is an _overlay_, not a blend. 

So when I read somebody saying "such and such is arrogance" but I know
that my own actual experience confirms the plausibility and insight of
the thing which is being called arrogant and erronious, I feel I should
speak up. 

Experience (actual proof, empirical results) beats theory any day of the
week. IMHO. 

  Soren A

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/